Frequently Asked Questions - Work Experience Australia
If you want a less structured program and are considering a backpacker’s working holiday journey across Australia, our Freestyle Australia package is for you. We provide you with accommodation for your arrival, local support, and all the resources you need to find casual jobs across Australia.
To be considered for these positions, you must:
- Be between the ages of 18 to 30 with a valid passport
- Have a high school diploma (or equivalent qualification)
- Obtain the required visa/paperwork prior to employment
- Have not previously entered Australia on a Working Holiday (417) or Work & Holiday (462) visa
- Have related experience and/or training in the food service, hospitality, and/or travel industry
- Must be a citizen of one of the following: United States, United Kingdom, Canada, Argentina, Bangladesh, Belgium, Chile, Republic of Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Republic of Ireland, Indonesia, Iran, Italy, Japan, Republic of Korea, Malaysia, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Taiwan, Thailand, or Turkey.
Please keep in mind that Alliance Abroad Group does not set visa regulations; those requirements are enforced by the respective countries.
If you are granted a Work & Holiday visa you can:
- enter Australia at any time within 12 months of the visa grant date
- stay in Australia for up to 12 months from the date of first entry
- leave and re-enter Australia any number of times from the 12 months from the date of first entry
- undertake temporary employment in Australia for up to six months with each employer
- study for up to four months
We’re looking for responsible, reliable, friendly professionals that have an interest in exploring new places and meeting new people. If you take pride in what you do, love to learn, and often step in to lend a hand without being asked, then you’re a great candidate!
You do not need a hospitality degree or years of experience in the food service, hospitality, and/or travel industry to apply. However, it is favorable to have had some relatable experience that can translate into skills that you would use for one of these positions.
The only exception are culinary/chef positions. You will need to have relevant educational and/or professional experience to be considered.
Room and board varies based on the location and property you select. For many of our resort opportunities, low-cost on-site housing is available. Alternatively, if room and board is not supplied, we will assist you in finding safe and affordable housing nearby.
If your choice is to go freestyle, you’ll be responsible for finding and providing your own housing.
When you apply for a positions through the Work Experience Australia program, you will be asked to pay a deposit. Once submitted, a program advisor will contact you to answer any questions, discuss your program in detail, and begin setting up interviews. Of course, we will coach you along the way so you can make your best impression with potential employers. After you are formally offered a position, you will be required to pay the remaining program fee. We will continue to assist you through the process of obtaining your visa, planning your trip, and making sure you have everything you need prior to departure.
If you select the freestyle option, payment is due upfront. You will be asked to provide your flight number, arrival dates, and other information.
To be clear, this isn’t just a job. It’s an opportunity to explore a new culture and share your own with people all over the world. Each opportunity has been carefully curated to ensure that what you get out of the experience isn’t just a pay check, but an enlightened perspective on world. You will have the chance to learn new skills, understand how businesses operate in different parts of the world, and get direct interaction with cultures difference from your own.
Since these paid positions are offered under a cultural exchange program, there is a program fee; however, it may be recovered upon completion of your employment term. It will come in the form of a tax reimbursement.
As a non-resident of Australia, you are eligible for a refund on some income taxes paid during your employment term. In some cases, this refund is in excess of the initial program fee. Alliance Abroad Group will help facilitate this refund for you.
Your friend or significant other may also enroll in the program and we will work to place you on the same property or in one nearby. Once you each apply, we’ll be able to provide you with more details in terms of specific location and placement.
If you are choosing the freestyle package, any number of friends can go with you. They’ll just need to purchase their own Freestyle Australia arrivals package.
Have a specific question that wasn’t answered here? Request more information to speak with a program advisor.