Teach Germany Homestay
“AAG’s Teach Germany is awesome. I never thought I’d see or learn as much as I did. The host family was super friendly.” –Mark A.
Explore the eclectic and modern landscape of Germany.
Teach Germany provides you with the opportunity to gain experience teaching a foreign language while discovering German culture. You will teach an average of 15 hours per week, Monday through Friday, providing lessons and conversation in your native language. The lessons may be more of less formal depending upon the family. You will have weekends and the rest of the time free to sightsee, take German lessons, and make new friends.
Teach Germany placements are mostly in Berlin or the Bonn/Cologne area but we will do our best to take all preferences into consideration.
What will I be doing?
You will spend an average of 10 hours a week, Monday through Friday, teaching English to the members of the host family. The style of lessons vary based on the host family’s needs. You can offer formal lessons or more relaxed and casual conversation time. You will have weekends and the rest of the time free to sightsee, learn about German culture and make new friends.
Am I eligible?
You don’t need any previous teaching experience to participate but you’ll need to meet the following program requirements:
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Eligible to obtain a tourist visa for the country in which you’ll be placed
- Be an advanced English language speaker
What does it cost?
The program fee is $1,450 USD for a 1 to 3 month stay.
What’s included in the program fee?
- Guaranteed teaching placement as a language assistant or tutor prior to departure
- Detailed description of the host family and placement (including duties/responsibilities, location, and other relevant information)
- Housing and mails with a local family
- Pre-departure and arrival orientation
- Visa documentation assistance (if needed)
- Full-time local representative and 24/7 emergency number
Is travel medical insurance available?
Travel medical insurance and trip cancellation insurance are available for purchase. We’ve teamed up with International Medical Group to offer Alliance Abroad Group participants whom are traveling to outside of the U.S. optional travel insurance coverage. Medical plans start at just under $47 USD per month; trip cancellation plans are only $26.70 USD per month. Learn more about travel medical insurance and enroll here.
How do I apply?
If you meet the program eligibility requirements you may submit your application online. Here’s what you will need to apply:
- A nice photo of yourself
- A statement of intent (why you’d like to participate)
- A deposit of $500 USD to submit along with your application
Once we receive your application and program deposit, we’ll start arranging your placement.