Teach Program FAQ's

Teach Abroad Programs – Frequently Asked Questions

Thank you for your interest in Alliance Abroad Group (AAG) sponsored teach abroad programs. Here are answers to some common questions. If you still have questions after reading this information, please request more information using our online form.

Depending on the type and location of your program, you must be able to apply for the required visa.

U.S. passport holders participating in teaching homestays outside of the U.S. will need to obtain a tourist visa (issued upon entry to the program destination country at no extra cost).  In most cases, you will need to be at least 18 years of age.

Non-U.S. citizens seeking teaching opportunities within the United States will need to apply for a J-1 Cultural Exchange Visa. In addition, the following requirements must be met.

To teach in the United States, participants must:

  • Have a degree that meets the minimum requirements of a U.S. Bachelor’s degree
  • Meet the standards of the U.S. state in which you’ll be teaching
  • Have a minimum of 3 years prior teaching experience with students that are between the ages of 5 and 18
  • Must be fluent in English

Please keep in mind that Alliance Abroad Group does not set visa regulations; those requirements are enforced by the respective countries.

If you wish to participate in one of the homestay language immersion programs—like Teach Turkey, Teach Spain, or Teach Germany—you do not need to be enrolled in school. However, you will need to be an advanced-level speaker in the language for which you will provide instruction.

If you are interested in participating in a program for classroom instruction—Teach Classrooms USA, for example—you must have some educational or professional background in your field of interest as well as intermediate or advanced language skills. The activities within your program will be designed based on your skill and experience level. We’ll discuss those details once you apply for a specific program.

Teach programs can range anywhere from 1 month to 3 years in length. Homestay language immersion programs—like Teach Turkey, Teach Spain, or Teach Germany—require at least a 1 month commitment.

Teach Classrooms USA requires at least a 1 semester commitment but may last up to 3 years.

The type of room and board offered varies based on the program you select. For Teach Turkey, Teach Spain, Teach Germany programs, you will live with a family and tutor English (or your native language) 10 to 15 hours a week and receive room and board in exchange.

Housing is not typically provided/included for any teaching positions within the United States.

Although we ask that you apply for a program at least 3 months in advance, we understand that is not always possible. If you are interested in leaving in less than three months, please contact an AAG enrollment advisor to see whether we can accommodate your request. Ultimately, it depends on how quickly your visa application can be processed.

In relation to programs outside of the U.S., yes! Your friend or significant other may also enroll in a similar program and we will work to place you on the same project or one nearby. Once you each apply, we’ll be able to provide you with more details in terms of specific location and placement. 

australia facebook

facebook twitter pinterest instagram UNITEDyoutube linkedin blog

Skip to toolbar