So, you’ve landed a working holiday in Australia… how awesome! During your time abroad, you’re sure to meet a lot of really cool people, see some amazing landscapes, and experience what a “no worries” lifestyle really means. But, first things first, what should you pack for an extended stay abroad and your travels in Australia? Here are some tips.
Planning What to Pack:
- Be sure to check the weather conditions of your working holiday destination before you depart. This will help you determine how to pack. You may also want to investigate what the weather trends were like during the past year.
- Don’t plan on taking anything that you would be upset about if lost.
- Think about what mementos you could bring along from home, for example, photos of family and friends. Having these types of items will be comforting in case of homesickness.
- Australia has many similar items you can buy when you arrive, so unless you have to use a special type of shampoo or toothpaste, you can buy these items when you get there. Plan to take enough toiletries for the first week or so while you get settled; then go to the shops to purchase a longer supply.
Packing List, The Essentials:
- Casual shoes
- Sandals/flip flops
- Dress shoes
- Running shoes
- Long sleeve shirts
- Short sleeve shirts
- Sleep wear
- Under garments
- Swimming suits
- Rain jacket/umbrella
- Alarm clock
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Travel-sized toiletries
- Pictures of your family and friends
- Cash ($400 – $500 in case of emergency)
- Medication (If you are taking a prescription medication, you will need to bring a doctor’s note or copy of your prescription)
- Electrical converter/universal plug**
*The Australian sun is much hotter than in other places of the world, so please make sure you bring a high SPF sunscreen and apply it regularly.
** The electrical current in Australia is 240/250 volts, AC 50Hz. The Australian three pin power outlet is different from that in North America so you will need an adapter socket. If your appliances are not 240/250 volts you will need a voltage converter. Universal outlets for 240V or 11 OV appliances are usually found in leading hotels.
Packing List, Optional Items (you can buy these when you get there):
- Hair dryer/hair products
- Full-sized toiletries
- Make up (for the ladies)
- Supply of favorite lotions and shampoos
- Passport and any visa paperwork
- Airline tickets / itinerary
- Photo ID
- Copies of itinerary, ID, and passport
- Host company job offer & program information
It’s suggested that you make two copies of all documents; leave one copy at home with a friend or family member and place one in your luggage. You may also want to carry a copy of your passport with you at all times rather than your physical passport, except for during international travel.
You may also want to check out this article, “Things to do Before Leaving for Your Internship Abroad”
I hope this information helps. Have fun and good luck!