Friendship Family Program
How do I join?
The first step in joining this program is to fill out an application. Once you have filled out the application we will do our best to match you with a local family according to the preferences listed on your application. We will share your information with your Friendship Family, so they can contact you directly and arrange a time to meet with you.
If I join, what will I be doing with my Friendship Family?
Throughout your program, your Friendship Family will invite you over for family dinners, holidays, and other various social activities. The main purpose is to create a sense of home and community for you in Sandusky while also providing local families a wonderful opportunity to bring a different culture into their home. AAG will also be in communication with you during your program and will invite you to cultural events and activities in the area.
Expectations & Guidelines
International Participants of Friendship Family are expected:
- To maintain regular communication with their Friendship Family- returning phone calls, emails and other forms of communication within 24 hours
- To meet with their Friendship Family at least twice a month
- To be flexible when it comes to scheduling meetings with the Friendship Family. Remember, canceling the meeting at the very last minute is not OK
- To respect traditions, religious and political beliefs of their Friendship Family
- To facilitate a cultural exchange (share their culture)
- To be flexible in perception of another culture
- To attend at least 1 (one) volunteer event organized by AAG
- To complete participation surveys/ evaluations and provide feedback to AAG about Friendship Family program